Hot Planning Issues are those major local matters that are ‘live’ meaning the community may submit an objection to Council, support residents at a VCAT Hearing or make a submission.
The date indicates the month listed on BVRG web page.
Blackburn to Laburnum section of Box Hill to Ringwood Shared User Path (SUP).
If you have a view on this project or its impact on Blackburn or Laburnum
Write to Council to state your views.
See the Community Alternative to the VicRoads proposal which is detailed below.
The Box Hill to Ringwood Shared User Path (SUP) is a principle bicycle network trail for metropolitan Melbourne. VicRoads have revised 2017 plans. The 2019 Plans are essentially the same as those proposed in August 2017. VicRoads has scheduled 2 drop in sessions to explain their plan to local residents. Blackburn and Laburnum residents are encouraged to attend. See details below.
BVRG in its 2017 submission to VicRoads were concerned with the treatment at Main Street with the loss of street trees and the amenity impacts that a new 3 metre concrete path would have on the narrow Laburnum Park. We believe that better options are available that reduce the amenity impacts for residents and traders. Those options include:
- Activation of Diggers Way (public right of way) for pedestrians and Cyclists and
- Widening the existing path in Laburnum Park to avoid duplication and unnecessary loss of play area.
The 2019 proposal has 3 key components:
Main Street VicRoads Proposal.
- Main Street is narrowed for traffic between Laburnum Street and South Parade, a 3m shared path is added on the road side of the footpath narrowing to 2m in front of shops, pushing parking further into the road. 5 street trees are removed. Traders with alfresco coffee and dining areas will be effected.
- Mixing cyclists with road traffic along Laburnum Street from Blackburn to Laburnum Station at revised speed limits of 40km per hour.
- Installing a new 3 metre concrete path through the linear Laburnum Park. The existing walking path close to the station remains, with the new path traversing through the narrow open space play area of the park between property boundaries and the children’s play ground.
Laburnum Park VicRoads Proposal
VicRoads Community drop-in session – Laburnum section
Monday 21 October
Location: Blackburn North Community Centre, 104 Springfield Road, Blackburn
Wednesday 30 October
Session 1 time: 2-4pm
Session 2 time: 6-8pm
Location: The Avenue Uniting Church, Cnr Blackburn Road & The Avenue, Blackburn
124-126 Blackburn Road – Assault on tree coverage in SLO2.
The refusal by Council for a development proposal for 5 large double story 5-bedroom units with 2 level basement carparking on this site with inadequate landscaping and large-scale tree removal has now moved to VCAT.
Residents who feel that this development proposal should not proceed should lodge an objection by way of a statement of grounds to VCAT. You can lodge at VCAT even if you were not a previous objector. If you lodge a statement of grounds and do not wish to speak you can nominate BVRG or someone else as proxy to speak on your behalf or pay a fee of $20.20 and present a submission in person.
Grounds for objection could include:
- Failure to meet planning scheme objectives
- Inconsistent with landscape objectives of the Significant Landscape Overlay
- Does not conform with preferred character objectives
- Excessive built form which presents a visual bulk for adjoining properties
Statement of grounds forms must be lodged by 24th June 2019. With copies to both the applicant c/- Ratio Consultants 8 Gwynne Street Cremorne, 3121 or firstname.lastname@example.org and the Council at email@example.com
199 Canterbury Road – Child Care Centre in SLO2, removal of significant trees – The applicant has chosen to go directly to VCAT as Council had not made a decision in 60 days. Residents are encouraged to make a submission to VCAT. Closing date for Statement of Grounds is 22nd November 2017.
There is no safe off road link joining the new shared path at Blackburn to the Box Hill section of the shared path. The use of Main Street footpath, Laburnum Street roadway and a new 3m path through Laburnum Park is proposed.
BVRG is encouraging Blackburn residents to have their say by August 31st 2017.
March 2017 – 21 LAUREL GROVE DEVELOPMENT – VCAT HEARING