A Brief History of Blackburn.
Blackburn was named after James Blackburn (1803–1854), civil engineer, surveyor and architect, who had been transported to Van Diemen’s Land in 1833 for forgery. Granted a free pardon in 1841, he continued his remarkable career in Van Diemen’s Land as a well-respected architect and surveyor until he decided to move with his family to Melbourne in 1849. Regarded as the founder of Melbourne’s water supply (with Clement Hodgkinson), James Blackburn died of typhoid fever at the age of fifty-one. It was Hodgkinson who named the creek after his colleague. The settlement, which subsequently grew along the creek, became known as Blackburn Creek…… more….
The builders realised very early on that the tall trees were an added attraction to the area and so although by 1910 the eastern portion of the Blackburn Township estate had been subdivided, the sale advertisements featuring the blocks were able to state . . . ‘ fortunately still well studded with fine varieties of eucalyptus. . .’
Some of the first houses, built soon after subdivision, remain in the area. One of the most influential designer/builders in Blackburn was Algernon J. Elmore who by 1916 had established his home and workshop in Blackburn. He was a proponent of the ‘Arts and Crafts’ and ‘Fresh Air’ movements of early twentieth century. He was one of the pioneers of Victorian Hardwood construction, including weatherboards, flooring and interior joinery in his Blackburn bungalows……… more….